Sunday, July 4, 2010

Good with the bad


Well, today was a half good and half bad kind of day.

We woke up to the sound of Chris's cell phone. It was work calling with some emergency. (BAD)

Chris wondered aloud how she got his home cell number , since the person who called wasn't supposed to have it. I reminded him that on his WORK cell, the voicemail message clearly says, "If this is an emergency call xyz..." ie. the home cell number!
It was not an emergency to Chris, LOL.

Later we went to lunch at Taco Bell ( Good! Yum!)
It was the one way to convince the 18 year old that spending time with family might be more fun than sitting in his cave with Xbox. Taco BEll almost didn't work. He did know that we were going to Pet Smart, and then to Lowes. He knows that any trip to Lowes can end up being a half day event, with dad looking at tools and mom looking at every plant, container, bird feeder and water fountain in stock. And while I did look, I didn't buy any new flowers. I did get a new cool garden tool, (GOOD) that wont do diddly for what I actually wanted it for! (BAD)

Later, I went up to the Primary school to check out the garden spot that I "adopted" last year. (Bad)

Over the last several months, I worked so hard to clear all the clover and dandelions, and let me tell you, that was a huge effort. The garden bed I was assigned is larger than my flower beds at home. I thought no one could have touched that area in years. I pulled and plucked for hours over many days. Finally, on Mother's day, Chris helped me take some flowers I dug from my garden, and plant them in my garden spot. I was so pleased with myself. It looked beautiful! (Very GOOD)

Well, today we went back there to see if we could use the new tool to dig up the weeds that had begun to sprout before school ended. There is no mulch in this very large garden bed, so the weeds grow pretty quickly. I didn't want to wait too long.

I think that the guys who cut the grass for the school secretly sprinkled wild grass seed all over the beds, because when we got there, I nearly cried. Really. Hiding all of the plants I put in just a few weeks ago was this crazy grass, and it was nearly chest high. (VERY VERY BAD) For a second, I thought they grew some corn or something! If you look real hard you can see the Irises, the Daylilies, the liriope, coneflowes and liatris I donated. I mean look REAL HARD. With no exaggeration, it looked WORSE than when I first started to weed it months ago. This crazy grass just replaced all the clover and dandilions. At least those were only inches high.
The lawn was recently cut, so I'm suprised they didn't just take the lawnmower right over the whole mess.

Tomorrow I think I will take a picture so you can see how horrible it looks.
Bless his heart, Chris felt so bad for me, that he said he would rent a tiller so I dont have to break my back or ruin my lovely manicured hands (ROFL) with dirt and blisters.

I may need to weed again, but not tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a day full of cornhole and beer, hamburgers and potato salad.

I ended the day on a high note though. I came home and made a new chicken recipe that was SO awesome. I will post it tomorrow too, with the grass-from-hell pictures. After we stuffed ourselves, Chris and I played some cornhole (He beat me for the two millionth time). We drank alot of bud light, and watched the community fireworks from the back yard with some neighbors. (100 % AWESOME)

OH, the back yard has a slight odor of dead groundhog, so you know which neighbors did NOT come over for the fireworks!


Since it is 1 in the morning, Happy Independance Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment